funsec mailing list archives

Re: so, is I[dp]S a STUPID technology?

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:52:13 -0700

Paul Schmehl wrote:
Yes, as far as it goes. For example. I have about 5500 Windows boxes. (All of this is not counting the endless student machines that come and go - most laptops.) At any given time, maybe 90% of those are members of the domain. That leaves 550 boxes that are "rogues" (in that I don't have access or control of them.) If we could install agents on every box (big if) then we'd have better control of the environment.

Agents tend to have a big advantage over scanners for roaming users, generally speaking. Again, that would be post agent install.

But ifs, in edu, are political problems that require negotiation and committee meetings and all sorts of fun stuff.

The two biggest problems are student machines (which we're not allowed to touch for liability reasons) and "grant" machines (meaning big huge important professor so and so just got this humongous grant and who the hell are you to tell me I can't put this machine on the network without your approval?)

Politics are what they are. We have university customers. Some have it running everywhere, some do department-by-department buy in. Some even have it on student machines. What you can get away with is different at every uni.

                                        BB