funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was: Getyour computer viruses here!]

From: Paul Vixie <paul () vix com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:39:13 +0000

# > ... i've pretty much settled on a sharing rule similar to gadi's -- i only
# > share with folks who i know will respect my sharing rules, which are
# > usually "it ends here."
#
# So I guess you won't be sharing with anyone who runs an open, unvetted VX
# system.

that's nonsequitur.  if i think the information isn't sensitive, as in the
case of malware-from-the-field, then my sharing rules wouldn't be "it ends
here."

# > ... if so that's interesting.  are we part of a revolution?
#
# There is a dilemma here.
#
# We want to share stuff with people who will make a good and beneficial
# use fo it, and we don't want to share stuff with people who will act
# maliciously.

i wouldn't want to be the sole or earliest or most reliable source of stuff
toward people who will act malevolently, that's true.  but i don't see that
happening no matter what i do, in the case of malware-from-the-field.  i've
not yet become aware of any malevolent force, either potential or actual,
who would be helped by an open repository of malware-from-the-field.  i do
know that there are beneficial forces who would be helped by this, starting
with (most of) the folks on this mailing list.