funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was: Getyour computer viruses here!]

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:24:46 +0000 (GMT)

i halfway agree with this.  since the community undergoes constant churn in
the membership of "trusted", there's a scaling limit induced by the churn
that feels like it's not much higher than the scaling limit induced by "have
to do everything manually and deal with transitivity instabilities in the
trust web".  in other words, the manual/transitive scaling problem isn't
the bottleneck simply because something else is already the bottleneck.

however, the manual/transitive scaling problems are really much more costly
than what you said.  "soon found out" is hardly guaranteed -- i've known of
moles or double-agents in various security communities but was forbidden to
"out" them due to ongoing law enforcement actions.  probably i only knew the
tip of that iceberg.  a lot of sensitive material got leaked to people i knew
were evil, and it's my basic assumption that they shared it further.  i'd say
that like any malevolent parasite, these people try pretty hard to keep their
true nature and impact hidden.  i'm SURE there's more of this kind of thing
going on than i know.

i'm also sure that "N degrees of separation", for very moderate values of N
like "2" or "3", can introduce enough uncertainty as to how much vetting is
really done or how much evil-tolerance is really present, that i've pretty
much settled on a sharing rule similar to gadi's -- i only share with folks
who i know will respect my sharing rules, which are usually "it ends here."

So I guess you won't be sharing with anyone who runs an open, unvetted VX
system.

so it's not unscalable for the reasons given, it's unscalable anyway, and i'm
very interested in a better system.  heinlein's treatment of this issue in
"the moon is a harsh mistress" was most instructive.  do we need a cell
structure the way revolutions do?  if so that's interesting.  are we part of
a revolution?

There is a dilemma here.

We want to share stuff with people who will make a good and beneficial
use fo it, and we don't want to share stuff with people who will act
maliciously.

There's two extreme solutions to this, "don't share with anyone" and
"share with everyone". I think most people (other than blackhats) agree
that neither of these are good solutions.

So, you have to share with *some* people, and that means sharing with
people who you trust. Different people might have different algorithms for
deciding who to trust, but all people have some way they use.

I think Paul is saying here, that the "transitive trusting" model is too
lax for his approval, and I can understand that. But remember, we're
trying to change the methods of someone who isn't even using something as
open as that.

Maybe I was right the first time around, and Val Smith is beyond
redemption.