funsec mailing list archives

ClamAV and open anti viruses [was: samples sharing blah]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:03:59 -0600 (CST)

If the "good" people at CLAMAV hadn't started out by stealing other peoples
work they may have gotten more help initially. You chose a really bad
example there...one where thieves were complaining about not getting help.
They seem to have cleaned up their act, but they were blatantly stealing. It
is no wonder they didn't get help.

I believe there are seceral versions to this story. Some didn't see
running AV's to se how thy detect samples as stealing.

I wouldn't have done it, but as uneducated people in the AV world and not
a lot to learn from, they did well enough and learned from their mistakes.

Was that what you were referring to?

BTW, that method was in a document they got from a sister/older project,
was not their own, I believe.

There are many reasons against open anti viruses. MANY. Still, ClamAV has
proven itself and found it's audience of users. I believe that if the AV
industry (people in it, not companies) cares enough to look outside the
box and their own ego's, they may have decided to try and help that
project.

Than again, why should they? :)

If Costin is listening, he can give a link to his articles on this
subject... although I am not sure they are up-to-date or covering
everything such as engine tradeofs being public, etc. Nick, remember that
conversation?

        Gadi.