funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hey old people

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:49:49 -0800

I already mentioned that one.

;>

On Dec 22, 2005, at 1:48 PM, Drsolly wrote:

Remember the vulnerability in Enigma, which considerably hastened the
end of the war.

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Blue Boar wrote:

Tom Van Vleck wrote:
Wow. Bob Fiske was one of my room mates freshman year at MIT (1961).
And another friend of mine dated Goheen.

I'm seriously considering tracking some people down for interviews at
some point, any idea if they are still around and locatable?  I'll be
taking a hard look at the multicians for some of this.

These are not nearly old enough though.
But one gets into the question of the definition of vulnerability.
e.g. it was well known that one could disable the 7094 FMS supervisor's
job time limit counter and accounting by storing zero in a certain
location in core.  (No, I'm not going to say which one on an open
channel.)
That was a vulnerability in a system with no memory protection where
only one job was running at a time, circa 1962.

I've had some private conversations with the osvdb guys, and I think we
have semi-agreed that we're looking for a documented privilege
escalation or bypass bug, and and OS/hardware combination with some
protection mechanism, probably a supervisor mode at least.  I suspect
for this exercise, they would exclude things like a crypto crack.
Original link for those that missed it:

http://www.osvdb.org/blog/?p=77

So I don't think a system with no memory protection would qualify in
this instance.  Not that I still wouldn't love details.

I *think* this means that for this definition, the earliest possible is
early '60s?

A little later, there was a documented bug in CTSS where programs
that increased their memory allocation size would get non-zeroed core.
So a programmer in the system group wrote a little program to start
small, get big, scan its new memory for passwords. Quickly got root,
that is, Dick Mills's password.  This would be 1965 or so.

I've known that one as folklore for a long time.  (It's older than my
personal experience, I was born in 1969.)  That's one I'm looking for
documentation on.  In the '72 paper, that (class of) bug is already
treated as an old-time bug.

You folks have looked at Donn Parker's book, right, and you are looking
for things earlier than his earliest?

I don't think so, I think we're a bunch of newbs approaching this from a
position of ignorance.  That's the case for myself, anyway.  I see
Amazon knows of lots of books by him.  Is it one of these?

Crime by computer 1976

Manager's Guide to Computer Security (Paperback) 1983

Computer abuse perpetrators and vulnerabilities of computer systems 1975

Computer abuse assessment 1975

(The list goes on, he's done quite a few)

                                                BB

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com> // 408.527.6376 voice

 Algorithm agility is an essential feature in any Internet protocol.

                     -- Bruce Schneier