funsec mailing list archives

RE: Hey old people

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 07:45:52 -0500

...then the COM file gets executed in preference to the EXE file when you
type the filename without extension. That existed in 1981, although it
wasn't realised that it was a vulnerability until the 1990s

Minor, nit-picking correction: EXE files weren't introduced until DOS 2.0,
which wasn't released until at least '82. In fact, according to the
unchallenged authority on everything, Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_DOS_Comparison), DOS 2.0 wasn't announced
until March '83.

(I once talked Chris Peters, one of the 3 authors of DOS 2.0 and now
chairman of the Professional Bowlers Association (really, seriously), about
the process. He was regretful of all the things they wanted to do in it but
didn't have time for because of pressure to release by IBM. I doubt they
thought of DrSolly's extension conflict of anything else related to security
though.)

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/