funsec mailing list archives

Re: U.S. Senate Blocks Patriot Act Renewal

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:40:27 -0600

--On Friday, December 16, 2005 23:04:27 +0000 Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:

Sorry, gotta call 'bullshit' on that one.

I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the 16 provisions
of the Patriot Act in contention:

 http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/12/16/patriot.provisions.ap/index.html

So you would prefer I take the word of CNN over actually reading the law myself? That seems a rather odd approach to me.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind explaining which of the 16 sections that are expiring contradicts what I said, namely that none of those can be done without judicial oversight or review except for section 501.

Disclaimer: I'm also a fervant supporter of the EFF, blgging for
EFF-Austin (Texas):

I'm a supporter of EFF myself, but I'm also a supporter of telling the truth, even when it's contrary to what you might like it to be. The crazy claims that the Patriot Act intrudes on your civil rights are just that - crazy. It grants the government the *same* authority in terrorism cases that they already had in organized crime cases.

Now that it's a moot point anyway, you can expect to see problems with terrorism investigations. For example, federal agents will no longer be able to follow a person's phone calls no matter what phone they use. They will now have to get a court order for *every* tap they need, which will severely hamper terrorism investigations since terrorists know they can simply switch phones frequently (which they already do) and avoid ever been tapped.

You may think you've "regained" some civil rights, but you've tied the government's hands behind its back and increased the likelihood that sleeper cells can avoid detection.

I'm all for freedom, but I think protecting American *lives* is more important than protecting American's "privacy" (which is not what expiration of this act does anyway.)

Furthermore, the President can simply supercede all of this by Executive Order by declaring an emergency. Is that *better* than having a law that spells out what LE can and cannot do?

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member