Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Master Lock random key code generation/distribution Fails

From: Richard Chycoski <rac () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 15:38:13 -0700

Keycodes on padlocks do not (normally) have the bitting code numbers on them. The keycodes have no relation to the bitting codes. Master locks that I've seen certainly don't, and even the cheap locks on our cabinets in the office do not either.

When I had a set of locks custom-keyed for a previous house, the locksmith put the bitting code on one key of each time to make it simpler to set up if/when I needed more keys. I never carried these keys around, since anyone spotting the bitting code could easily make a copy. I recommend that people never carry keys with the bitting code on them, put them away in a safe place.

For my current house I keyed it differently. There is a master key that opens everything. There is a front-door-outside key that only opens that one lock, so that if someone (read - some kid :-) ) loses that key I only have one lock to change. There is an 'inside' key that only opens the inside deadbolts, and when the house is occupied we leave inside keys in those locks - and if someone wanders off with one, they're not useful for getting into the house. For these keys, the locksmith did not stamp bitting codes on any of them. It depends on the locksmith.

- Richard