Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 now unsecure by default

From: Darren Martyn <d.martyn.fulldisclosure () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:01:45 +0000

To be honest, while Ubuntu is hardly secure, it is not DESIGNED to be
secure per se. It is designed to wean Windows users away from M$ and toward
GNU/Linux OS types. Kind of a "Linux for newbs". My family went from Win XP
to Ubuntu years ago and stuck with it. I moved on to Debian, they stuck to
Ubuntu and Win7 (eventually) as they are not computer enthusiasts - mere
users.

Hell, a friend of mine, she was a self confessed "computer illiterate" and
when I moved her to Ubuntu a month later she was learning how to write
simple shell scripts to automate tasks - not bad for someone who couldn't
work XP's Control Panel for ages...

If you want secure as in, OUR version of secure, look elsewhere. One thing
I do like about Ubuntu though is it looks pretty :)