Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: iPhone Geolocation storage

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 04:11:53 -0400

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 08:25:04 +0200, Christian Sciberras said:
Besides of which, the police already can be granted (upon request) access to
servers (where your data is already stored in plain text), so I don't see
the big deal.

This is one of those places where details count.  In some jurisdictions, LEO's
get access upon request.  In other places, LEO's get access upon subpoena
signed by a judge.  And in some places with wishy-washy spineless providers,
LEO's legally need a subpoena, but get access upon request anyhow. We'll just
skip over the whole US "National Security Letter" thing and pretend it's just a
hallucination. ;)

The *real* problem is if you're in a jurisdiction like Michigan, which seems to
think it's OK to hoover all the data out of electronic devices at a traffic stop.