Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Filezilla's silent caching of user's credentials

From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 08:39:29 +0200

Not all attackers are created
equally.

I still see this a simple matter of violating KISS to introduce a layer of
encryption.
The question is, to which end? Sure, an attacker might see the encrypted
file
and think it's "too difficult" for him to get to the passwords. Another
might use
a certain utility to decrypt the said file. The thing is, to which end are
we encrypting
the data? Just for the sake of making it work like the N other programs?
I mean, if this doesn't *work*, why even *bother*?

There is no question here. There is no discussion. It should be done,
and if it is not, password saving should be stopped in FileZilla or an
alternative program should be sought. It's that simple.

Great. If it's so simple that it can be done in under 10 mins, go complain
to them.

As to "go read our awesome security standards we created", that is the exact
reason
why I consider this "security feature" completely useless.

Cheers,
Chris.