Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Should nmap cause a DoS on cisco routers?

From: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 23:24:42 +0000

On Jul 3, 2010, at 2:05 AM, Mailing lists at Core Security Technologies wrote:

Perhaps we should too ask and wait for actual data from Mr. Shang

I acknowledged this deeper in the thread - and also noted that since I've seen the same kind of reported behavior not
above two or three hundred times in the past, that it sure looks like a classic RP DoS due to punted management-plane
traffic.

I used to work for Cisco, and have the highest respect for the PSIRT team; I'm sure if there's an issue beyond simple
BCPs, they'll resolve it.

In the meantime, everyone should ensure that their networks disallow control- and management-plane traffic from
unauthorized nodes via iACLs, CoPP, et. al.; and also investigate rate-limiting management- and control-plane traffic
in a situationally-appropriate manner via CoPP, HWRL, et. al.
Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken