Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Should nmap cause a DoS on cisco routers?

From: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 01:30:37 +0000

On Jul 2, 2010, at 8:13 AM, Lee wrote:

 so presumably the scan came from a network that had full access to the routers.

One question is whether or not the network in question *should* have full access to the management plane of the routers.

;>

 That's a bit harder to defend against.

Sure, but also note that CoPP, HWRL, and the like can help, depending upon the platform.

Don't get me wrong; this should be investigated further, and PSIRT are on it.  My point is that folks don't need to go
into panic mode, but should educate themselves as to how to defend their network infrastructure against attack and then
deploy the relevant BCPs.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken