Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Two biggest Indian University Websites are vulnerable

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 11:33:46 -0400

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Sandeep Sengupta
<sandeep.sengupta () gmail com> wrote:
1. we spoke to Univ system admin over the phone yesterday. They are
aware of the problem.

The best I can tell from Shreyas link (if it is applicable),
disclosing to the University does not relieve or indemnify you from
provisions of 43 (G). Perhaps there's a section which allows public
disclosure after private disclosure?

Now up to them how much time they will take to
rectify it. We hope they at least have the wisdom to bring the site
down till it is debugged. They have the wisest men working for them,
after all.

Its unfortunate that the University did not jump high enough when you
clapped your hands. I suppose a 12-hour is better than a 0-day. Even
Ormandy gave Microsoft about a man-week for the help center
vulnerability (debatable, but somewhere around the truth).

everyone has seen & thinking what nobody has thought. I had the option
of keeping quiet, but that would have kept the issue lingering &
hundreds of students would have suffered.
You forgot to mention the other options at your disposal.

Univ officials need to wake up fast.
Oh, I see - a political statement - you're grinding an axe. You really
should not claim altruisms ("I did it for the students"). Perhaps it
was also a bit of advertisement for iSolution Software Systems Pvt
Ltd, which is clearly not altruistic.

3. The matter has been published by press today morning. I have put on
full disclosure more than 12 hours later.