Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: MySQL trick for SQL injection

From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists () tx rr com>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 13:03:34 -0600

--On Friday, November 06, 2009 10:55:26 -0600 Tim
<tim-security () sentinelchicken org> wrote:

INTO OUTFILE is a dangerous routine (as you've clearly demonstrated), but
that privilege must be specifically granted to a user before it's possible
to execute it.  No sensible administrator would grant the FILE privilege
to a webserver application's database acccount.

Very true, but a good blackhat always keeps a good supply of ways to exploit
common stupid administrator mistakes.  I'd not be surprised in the least if
more than 10% of the sites, some admin under time pressure to Just Fix It
assigned FILE privs to get the web application back up and running.

I find it's more common that they just have the application log in as
MySQL root.  It's foolish.  It happens more frequently than you'd like
to admit.  Makes my app pentests easier though. ;-)

All true, but then we don't have a program flaw, we have a config flaw.  If you
run your web applications with root privileges on the database, you should be
surprised when your app gets exploited.

The question I have for the OP is whether or not he's found a true bug in mysql
or simply exposed one of the millions of ways to exploit stupidity.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst