Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: MySQL trick for SQL injection

From: Tim <tim-security () sentinelchicken org>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:55:26 -0800

INTO OUTFILE is a dangerous routine (as you've clearly demonstrated), but that
privilege must be specifically granted to a user before it's possible to
execute it.  No sensible administrator would grant the FILE privilege to a
webserver application's database acccount.

Very true, but a good blackhat always keeps a good supply of ways to exploit
common stupid administrator mistakes.  I'd not be surprised in the least if
more than 10% of the sites, some admin under time pressure to Just Fix It
assigned FILE privs to get the web application back up and running.

I find it's more common that they just have the application log in as
MySQL root.  It's foolish.  It happens more frequently than you'd like
to admit.  Makes my app pentests easier though. ;-)

tim