Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Two bulletins from Microsoft on Patch Tuesday

From: Col <colweb () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 07:18:18 +0000

2008/11/6 n3td3v <xploitable () gmail com>:
<snip>
i'm not sure this is a good idea as it gives a heads up to hackers.
you may think its not long but its actually 5 days for a hacker to
figure out potentially a vulnerability in said area. maybe we should
have a discussion about the pros and cons of these microsoft heads up
and what the reality of it is for the bad guys to be able to pin point
and start exploiting a flaw in said area in a 5 day time frame. yours
n3td3v.

I don't think any hacker is going to bother spending 5 days looking
for a needle in a haystack when he can reverse engineer specific files
once the patch is released. I know very little of looking for pointers
in DLLs but from what I've seen it looks like a bit of a nightmare.
The best way is to "diff" two files - the un-patched and the patched
then you see where the changes are.

Of course if you had thought about it or done *any* research before
you posted you would already have made that point.

I am not a white/grey/black/pink hat I'm just an NT Admin type person
who monitors this list for Full Disclosure of bugs in software.
Instead I have trawl through your incessant ramblings on most days.
Yes I have filters set up in Gmail of course, but I still have to deal
with the replies, which before you go on about it are justifiably
offensive because you've polluted this list for years with your crap -
most have had enough of it.

Now please go and get a job in something completely different so you
can sleep through the night like the rest of us.

Regards,

Colin.