Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Best wireless card for packet capturing?

From: coderman <coderman () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:04:14 -0700

On 7/2/07, Joshua Ogle <jdo24 () cornell edu> wrote:
For some research I'm doing I need to capture packets using my laptop in a
public space.  What is the best wireless card for doing so which will work
with most of the packet capturing software on Windows...

you'll want to get a copy of Airpcap drivers for win32.

atheros or prism2 cards are my preference.  ideally you should use
multiple cards for best performance (built-in + 1 or 2 pccard?).
remember that channel hopping affects capture, so locking on chan of
interest is preferable to constantly hopping.

best regards,