Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Amsn-devel] aMSN <= 0.96 remote DoS vulnerability

From: Ismail Dönmez <ismail () pardus org tr>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:37:28 +0300

On Sunday 22 April 2007 08:32:35 Youness Alaoui wrote:
Hi,

I'm a developer and admin of the aMSN project, someone just sent me this
link (
http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2007-April/053912.html
).

I just grepped in the source code and that port (31337) is not used by
aMSN, it could be a port used for a profile (as a locking system), in which
case the port is randomly chosen each time, so this is probably just a
fluke, he found the port of his current aMSN instance and used it.

As I don't have more info, I can't really test this bug and find the real
cause and fix it, so it would be nice to have more info about this.

Seeing how the user replied on the "Vendor contacted?" tag, I wonder if I
can get any more info on this matter.

His sample PoC has an infinite loop  so he basically DDoSed that port.

--
Life is a game, and if you aren't in it to win,
what the heck are you still doing here?

-- Linus Torvalds (talking about open source development)