Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Could InfoSec be Worse than Death?

From: Benjamin Robson <ben.robson () classicblue com au>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:43:08 +1000

Paul wrote:
Saving money is a form of generating revenue indeed, but even in his
description Ben is forced to use the words "reducing the risk" to
describe
his money saving techniques.  That's loss avoidance, plain and simple.

One aspect of saving money is indeed risk avoidance.  But my point was
that the introduction of effective procedure sets is a very direct method
of saving money for the organisation, not just through risk avoidance but
through the reduction in costs associated with: staffing levels, as people
become more efficient when following a procedure instead of making it up
as they go; staffing type, as a less skilled workforce is required to
execute standard proceduralised functions; and through quality, as fewer
mistakes means less time is spent in fixing problems and repeating
actions.

So its not just about saving money through risk reduction, but is also
about directly reducing the operational overheads of the business through
the use of procedures, which will also improve the security outcome.

--
Benjamin M.A. Robson
Senior Security Consultant

Classic Blue Solutions