Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: scanning

From: schanulleke.29172787 () bloglines com
Date: 12 Jun 2006 09:23:51 -0000

--- Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
What's this mean? It means that if you
scan some lame-ass system and it
crashes as a result, you might be in deep
shit.  And "it shouldn't have
crashed from a portscan" does *not* hold
up in court.

Having done pen-testing in the past I have disabled (dos-ed)
systems and entire networks with a portscan.

My employer would never let
me do any work withaout a prior written agreement.

However, law is highly
fluctuate over time and from country to country. Dutch law recently changed.
In the past you had to have broken a security barrier in order to be accused
of hacking, now it has changed to "with the intent to  do harm".

Is it
illegal? Not enough data to compute / that is one for the lawers...
Is it
unwise? Probably...
Will you get cought/sued? Unlikely...
Would I bother