Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Undisclosed breach at major US facility

From: Q-Ball <qballus () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:55:49 +1000

Security is simply a cost/benefit excercise at the end of the day. No one
implements security just to feel better about themselves.

On 7/5/06, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 00:25:15 EDT, Stack Smasher said:
> Like I said, shareholder value and profit plays a huge role in people
> getting off their ass and doing something to help the general public,
> seeing as how you have mostly worked at a university you don't have an
> executive board screaming at you

Universities have their equivalent of executive boards, trust me.

And when you have almost 7,000 full time employees, the annual budget is
$821M,
and the R&D budget alone is $268M, the management acts the same whether
it's a
university or a corporation. Trust me on this one too.  And yes, I'm not
pulling those numbers out of a hat:

http://www.vt.edu/aboutvt/universityataglance.html

(And even at a quarter-billion a year, we're only #55 on the research list
-
there's places where the money being tossed around is even bigger, and
upper
management acts correspondingly....)