Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: 70 million computers are using Windows 98 right now

From: Cardoso <cardosolistas () contraditorium com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:53:07 -0300

Is it a hard mesure? Yes. Is it a high price to reduce the number of
zombie networks around the globe? No. I think the sypware guys will take
care of their own doom.

Oh, firefox is jumping the wagon too. No 9x/me support to 3.0.

Anyway, who said anything about XP?

I don't think there's anything a 98 machine can do that a Linux machine
can't, beside games. It's a well known trick to extend hardware
usefullness.

It's a "switch or die" situation.

//no fanboy here, check my headers, plain old XP user.

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:37:38 -0400
Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

V> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:28:08 -0300, Cardoso said:
V> > but I agree. Let them die. 98 is a very unsafe plataform, hope the
V> > spyware guys act fast and kill all the remaining machines, under a ton
V> > of popups.
V>
V> And where does that leave the users?  Have you considered that maybe some
V> of them are still using Win98 because they don't have a realistic upgrade
V> path?  WinXP may not install on their box, or run adequately - and just
V> telling them to upgrade isn't always an option.  There's large parts of the
V> world where a discarded box running Win98 is affordable, but a new box
V> and a legal copy of XP is just out of the question.
V>
V> Phrased differently - how would *you* feel if *your* platform was the target
V> of the sort of attack you're advocating against Win98?

year(now) + 1 serĂ¡ o ano do linux!
Cardoso <cardoso () pobox com> - SkypeIn: (11) 3711-2466 / (41) 3941-5299
vida digital: http://www.contraditorium.com site pessoal e blog: http://www.carloscardoso.com