Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Steve Gibson smokes crack?

From: eric williams <nfobro () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:48:59 -0500

On 1/13/06, Todd Towles <toddtowles () brookshires com> wrote:

Stan wrote:
Ordinarily I'd argue, but its hard to when we find out
Microsoft knew about the bug for a long time and made a
concious decision not to patch it even though they knew it
could lead to a system compromise.

Also, Microsoft must have made the concious decision to have it not work
by default on any pre-Windows 2000 machine? What kind of old secret
government backdoor is that...when it doesn't even work.

I think I follow you here, I don't think I agree with the conscious
decsion part tho'.  I think the design of the WMF supported the record
types that any vendor could have access to via the GDI, what was at
play, afaict, is that you either had to have a renderer that was
flawed and could be leveraged from M$ or a third-party vendor.  I
think the 'flaw' was there by default, but possibly no means to
leverage it without a properly crapped up 'viewer'.  M$, of course
fixed that problem later by providing a default backd^H^H^H^H^H
viewer.   :)

-e

-Todd