Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: blocking Google Desktop

From: Michael Holstein <michael.holstein () csuohio edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:36:55 -0500

I would also venture to say that they should be publicizing
information for corporations to be able to block this wholesale
(google desktop and gmail chat), since we all know there are financial
institutions where people work, and think nothing of saving customer
data onto laptops.

Agreed. I'm actually working on testing it now, to figure out how to write snort sigs to (detect) and/or (block) it -- assuming I can't just blackhole *desktop.google.com on DNS.

I might just block their ads as well (/pagead/iclk? in URLs) out of spite for them doing this stupid trick with their desktop product.

FWIW, we're sending out notices that this is NOT to be installed on any University-owned PC, violators get their machine re-imaged.

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University