Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Online

From: "Dave Moore" <dave.j.moore () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 06:52:27 -0600

On 12/1/06, Mike Huber <michael.huber () gmail com> wrote:
first of all, IANAL, but the TOS seem to cover the basics...  However, I am
unsure whether they would hold up under strict legal scrutiny.  As far as I
can tell, they may hold up under US criminal law, but not under civil law,
as tort law has its own wonderful little eccentricities.  The best safeguard
they seem to have is that they must log the source IP of all scan
requests...  As far as I know, anyone who takes the time to read the nmap
man page should be able to craft a scan which won't be detected by the
scanned host (can someone be a definitive source on this point?), and anyone
taking malicious action ought to be taking sufficient precautions to avoid
detection anyway.  None-the-less, my 8-ball sees litigation in their future.

All nmap scans are detectable. All port scans are detectable. Just
depends on how hard you're looking.