Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: CORE-Impact license bypass

From: "Exibar" <exibar () thelair com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:49:42 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Maiffret" <mmaiffret () eeye com>
To: "Exibar" <exibar () thelair com>; "c0ntex" <c0ntexb () gmail com>; "Josh
Perrymon" <perrymonj () networkarmor com>;
<full->d>isclosure () lists grok org uk>
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 4:49 PM
Subject: RE: [Full-disclosure] CORE-Impact license bypass

<snip>
  As far as automated tools go, bah, manually exploiting the
holes is certainly the way to go.  But, the automated tools
usually produce nice pretty reports that you can show the
client.  They just LOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEE pretty reports with many
bright colors and such for the good stuff and dark "hacker
like" colors for the bad stuff :-)

  Exibar
<snip>

I'm playing devils advocate so its not that I completely disagree but I
think for the average consultant (99% of consultants) using an automated
solution like Core/Canvas is going to do far more for them.

Hiya Marc!
       I completely agree.  I actually like both methods, using an automated
tool like Retina, Nessus, Foundstone, etc to find the vulns and the
weaknesses, then using an individual exploit to try and penetrate that hole.
Canvas / Core also have a very good use as well.  They are quick, easy to
use, and produce those nice reports that the clients like to see, so they
get used as well.
      I didn't mean to imply that the consultants create their own exploits,
not many I know could even begin to do that, only a couple are talented
enough to do just that.  Even for those very few, it's just not feasable
from a time perspective.  Much quick and cost effective to use what's out
there.

  Exibar