Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Multiple Vendor Anti-Virus Software DetectionEvasion Vulnerability through forged magic byte

From: "Andrey Bayora" <andrey () securityelf org>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:46:22 +0200

Hello x,

The AV vendors aren't going to patch their products if they
don't detect your PoC; they're just going to write a new
signature or modify an existing signature to detect your
new variants.  The fact that it can and will be fixed by
AV signatures instead of product patches should help you
figure out if this is a product vulnerability issue or just
a "new virus variant" issue.

Good point, so I have news for you - some AV vendors contacted me and they
are WILL issue patches for their products. Is it what you need as a proof of
existence of a bug? Please, wait couple of weeks.

BTW, Andrey, did you bother to use the "deep scan",
"heuristic mode", "reviewer mode", etc to see if any
of those AV scanners picked up your new variants?

YES, that is the reason why I prefer to use my AV lab instead of
virustotal.com and others. The only exception is CA - I tested 7.0 version
that didn't has "reviewer mode" (or I didn't found how to enable this).

I bet you didn't.

Why are you guessing (betting)? I provide all information that you need to
check this bug and not to make up a conclusions based on guesses.

Best regards,
Andrey Bayora.