Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Reverse engineering the Windows TCP stack

From: "Nicolas RUFF (lists)" <ruff.lists () edelweb fr>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:02:49 +0200

Hey, I am looking for Windows TCP/IP stack information, I
would like to know why it behaves inconsistently to SYN|FIN|URG|PSH!
I'm curious about this one too...can you guys keep the replies on the
list?

Well, at least when you try to connect to a closed port, Windows retries
several times (SYN) even when RST has been received. My Linux don't.

-> "telnet <non firewalled ip> <closed port>" while running Ethereal.

However I am not sure whereas it is the TCP/IP stack or the Winsock
layer that induces this behaviour.

TCP/IP fingerprinting relies on such oddities, I guess a little Googling
would help.

Regards,
- Nicolas RUFF