Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: talk.google.com

From: James Tucker <jftucker () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:48:41 +0100

David Maxwell wrote:

Google supporting Jabber would be nice. However, I've been unable to add
contacts using talk.google.com (with gmail.com addresses) via my
standard Jabber server. They've been unable to add me too.
I have connected using a standard jabber client, however it authenticates using the PLAIN mechanism as opposed to X-GOOGLE-TOKEN.

So far I have found no public docs on the google authentication token. I'm not that familiar with Jabber and can't identify it by eye, although it seems to be an all encompassing auth string. Any cryptologists who want to have a look, I can provide auth strings + details off-list.

Is it possible that Google is running the only public Jabber server that
doesn't interoperate with other Jabber servers? That sounds more like
the 'embrace and extend' of Microsoft than the 'Don't be Evil' of
Google...
It may well be the case. The voice extensions are also proprietary at first glance, however again, my lack of jabber experience makes that difficult to judge. I still need to test the cross-server functionality.

I hope it's only for a very brief beta period if that's the case, but in
the meantime, Google Talk is just another proprietary messaging system.
Well, roughly, all Jabber clients should be able to connect provided they don't bomb out over the differences.