Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: XSS at Citibank.co.uk

From: Frank de Wit <frankdewit () home nl>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:47:37 +0200

i have read perhaps a thousand emails since 1995 or so about (full)disclosure... i hope i read them well enough... this is my first reaction to one (if i remember well)
i think Bob's email is short, accurate and (one of) the best...

if there's a bad product in the market, no matter what market
tell all your friends it's a bad product and tell them why you think that (proof would be nice instead of just feelings about people on a helpdesk ;-) then tell all your friends what new better product you are using now and why it's better and then stop talking about it... step back from the discussion and let everyone create their own opinion producers of bad products will improve or... cease to exist, end of problem, some will die fast, some take more time (and a little help from us)... we are always stronger than multinational companies and governments (large marketing machines are also expensive :-)

talking about disclosure is a question already answered too often, let's take it a step further now
-all information should be free and publically accessable for everyone-
       -i am the only one to decide what to read and what to say-

--
the next great task for mankind is to slow down...

bruen () coldrain net wrote:

Hi Jim,

 Besides the obvious, exactly why should Cisco or any other vendor in our
business be shielded from public scrutiny on products which are faulty? I
am sure that Merck would like to have kept Vioxx on the market, even
though people died from it. I am just as sure that Guidant Corp did not
want the problems with their pacemakers made public, so that they have to
fix them for free. What about Ford Explorers and exploding tires? They
can't even give them away today. Since there is no equivalent to Consumer
Reports for us, we are left with public disclosure.

If it is important enough to stop public disclosure of problems, then
it's important enough for vendors to start taking responsbility for what
they produce. The resources going into stopping public disclosure would be
better used to help secure the products. Those lawyer fees would be a good
start.

                     regards, bob