Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Case ID 51560370 - Notice of Claimed Infringement

From: bkfsec <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 11:25:25 -0400

Randall Perry wrote:

No, it isn't quiet that clean.
The initial post was regarding eDonkey/eMule client.
The files are broken into chunks.
The files are 'verified' by a one-way hash.

Which brings up another couple of questions:

1. Some networks of this type distribute their seeds in random caches amongst their population. If you don't know it's there, are you liable for it?

2. For a copyright violation to occur, you need a "significant portion of the original work." Does having a chunk that qualifies as 1/30th of a copyrighted work qualify for copyright violation via unauthorized distribution? I don't know and IANAL, but I'd say that it's questionable.

                     -Barry