Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Case ID 51560370 - Notice of Claimed Infringement

From: Mike Owen <kyphros () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:52:55 -0700

On Apr 7, 2005 2:28 PM, Thierry Zoller <Thierry () sniff-em com> wrote:
<snippage>
RP> (or do they assume these hashes are 'fingerprints')
Oh... well an one-way hash (Md5,sha etc) technicaly speaking
*IS* a fingerprint because it identifies a UNIQUE file. (collisions
possible but unlikely)

Please correct me if any of my assumptions above were incorrect.

As reported over the last few months, MD5 is very broken. MD5
collisions are very easy to generate, with some reports of as little
as a few hours needed on reasonable hardware to generate a collision.

Here is a page with links to most of the various papers out, including
the Wang paper that started this all.
http://cryptography.hyperlink.cz/MD5_collisions.html

--
Thierry Zoller