Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Scandal: IT Security firm hires the author of Sasser worm

From: Ali Campbell <fdisclosure () alicampbell org uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:04:12 +0100

Bart.Lansing () kohls com wrote:

Face it, people who can break security are valuable to those trying to create it.

I would agree with you if this guy had discovered the LSASS vulnerability himself. But if I remember correctly, it was discovered by those clever people at eeye. Now I don't consider myself to be the ultimate coder - the minutae of the Linux do_brk exploit, for example, went way over my head - but I reckon I could have written Sasser given the details of the vulnerability. Writing a worm for a known exploit isn't rocket science.

So yes, I think this is a slap in the face to decent, law abiding programmers everywhere, particularly those who don't have a job.

Ali

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html