Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Response to comments on Security and Obscurity

From: James Tucker <jftucker () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:24:30 +0100

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:02:12 -0400, Barry Fitzgerald
<bkfsec () sdf lonestar org> wrote:
I... tend to agree.  It's a difficult question because analogies are
useful if the person reading the paper has no point to base their
opinion off of.  However, I see two problems with this:

1) Perhaps a paper of this type shouldn't be considered introductory
material.  Perhaps the knowledge of the system should be a pre-requisite
for reading the paper.  Familiarity with the topics should be assumed.
Discerning between the advantages and disadvantages between disclosure
and secrecy isn't a small or simple thing and perhaps people without
that level of familiarity, shouldn't venture directly down that path.

2) The above is especially true in the case of influence of public
policy.  If person shaping public policy is basing their opinion off of
a (most likely defunct) analogy, we have a major problem.  As I'm sure
Peter is aware, this is probably more often than not, the rule in the
shaping of public policy.  It reminds me of the scene in Fahrenheit 9/11
where they were discussing the fact that the Patriot Act was passed
without a single legislator reading it.  This scares me a lot.  Of
course, this increases the need for simplification of the issues so that
legislators can at least vote with a modicum of knowledge on a subject,
but thus begins the cycle...

Perhaps a series of papers is more appropriate, starting with an
in-depth understanding of the ideologies from the ground level?

I agree.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html