Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: AV companies better hire good lawyers soon.

From: gadgeteer () elegantinnovations org
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:00:05 -0600

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 07:22:56PM +0200, Florian Weimer (fw () deneb enyo de) wrote:
What exactly are they charged with for having a compromised Windows box in
their possession?  I am curious, I had never heard of that.

Credit card fraud, probably.

There are also reports that someone with child porn on his hard disk
got away because he claimed that the virus did it.  The case I
remember was in the UK, but I think there also was one in the U.S.

According to the FBI fornsics agent I heard at a recent security
conference this is a fairly common defense.  The other is trying to
claim that any gaps in the evidence chain are when a law enforcement
type planted the porn there.
--
Chief Gadgeteer
Elegant Innovations