Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Re: open telnet port

From: Andrew Haninger <ahaning () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:56:19 -0400

So the solution to not run a backup telnet server for updating SSH is to
run a second, known insecure version of sshd on a different port,
presuming of course, that you are allowed to run said sshd on said high
port in the first place.
Sorry, that was stupid of me. First build the new sshd and start it on
a high port. If you're supposed to have enough access to update sshd,
you should have access enough to run something on a high port.

Which results in something that sounds a bit like security by obscurity,
which is bad.
True. Much worse than logging in over telnet would be to run a
temporary sshd on a high port.  Wait...

You end up presuming that potential attacker cannot do his
thing because you are using ssh on an oddball port.
I did not suggest running it there for a long time but rather just
enough time to allow you to update your system. You're presuming that
your attacker is presuming that you're smart and not using clear-text
protocols to administer your server.

Oh, and not everyone is root for all parts of the network they may be
administrating.
True. That's why you're the admin and why you're updating sshd. You have root.

-Andy

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html