Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Re: open telnet port

From: ktabic <lists () ktabic co uk>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 13:28:51 +0000

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 09:23 +0100, Dave Ewart wrote:

getting rid of telnetd is almost always a very good idea.

Quite so, as I suggested.

Are there even any legitimate uses for running a telnet daemon any more?
(That is a genuine question - as far as I can see, SSH is always a
perfect replacement).

How about, as a service to enable as you are updating SSH remotely from
the other side of the country to fix the most recent problem security
problem and need a backup system to get into the server in the event
that something goes wrong?

ktabic
--
Give me the strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what
I can't and the incapacity to tell the difference -- Calvin

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html