Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: New paper on Security and Obscurity

From: Barry Fitzgerald <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:48:37 -0400

Peter Swire wrote:

Greetings:

        I have been lurking on Full Disclosure for some time, and now would like to
share an academic paper that directly addresses the topic of “full
disclosure” and computer security:

Hello Peter,

There are some glaring flaws in the the basis of this paper. Though I tend to agree with the abstract theme of the paper (being that there is both a place for secrecy and a place for disclosure) I disagree with the very basis of the analysis. It seems to oversimplify both the military position and the "Open Source and Encryption" position. Further, it also misrepresents the arguments of disclosure advocates.

The paper makes the assumption (without adequate evidence) that the military and Open Source positions are fundamental opposites when juxtaposed. In actual practice, this couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not saying that primary military policy isn't to maintain a state of secrecy and that Open Source ideology dictates disclosure; that much is blatantly true. However, in order for your model to work, these oversimplifications have to be put into their actual context in order to be understood.

First and foremost, when talking about disclosure most Free Software and Open Source advocates are referring to disclosure regarding "things" that they have direct access to. They're referring to programs that are distributed to them. In fact, this is written into the archetype Free Software document, the GNU General Public License. If I write a program and never distribute it to you, I have absolutely no (0) obligation to disclose anything about the program to you. Similarly, if I modify a GNU GPL'ed program and don't distribute it, I have no obligation to disclose anything. I can even distribute the program to an isolated set of people and I still have no obligation to share any information with you if you aren't one of the recipients. (note: in this economy, the program will probably get distributed and disclosure will eventually occur because the people I distribute it to can choose to distribute it -- but, they might not choose to.) Any customizations I make can stay secret -- it's written into the ideology and practice.

You can extend this to identify the *true* rule of disclosure in the Free Software and Open Source movement: If you "own" something (though software is not exactly owned by the user) you should have the right to be able to modify it to fit your needs. In order to have this right, disclosure must occur. Hence, disclosure only counts towards items that are openly distributed. Full disclosure in the market sense.

This is a fundamental point because the military secrecy argument applies almost exclusively to proprietary information utilized almost exclusively by the military. I can't own a trident missile so therefore not having access to its design schematics is not counter to Free Software/Open Source ideology.

Now we get into a little cultural history and applying this to society in general. The Free Software movement does have, within its roots, the ideological belief that information "wants" to be free. All information will eventually get out and therefore, relying on secrecy is foolish. This is fundamentally true. It's fundamentally true because it only applies to information that the person comes in contact with. If I have a black box that has some function but it's locked by the manufacturer, I can eventually gleen information out of it -- enough to discover its secrets. There is no way to hide secrets indefinitely.

The military doesn't even hide secrets indefinately. There is a limit to how long information can be regarded as top secret. Eventually all secrets are disclosed, if they're sufficiently interesting enough that someone would look for them. To the context of our society, this is absolutely essential. Without information disclosure, you have a dictatorial tyrrany. Participation in the system is essential for democracy, but perhaps even more essential is open access to the secrets of the "democratic" nation. Without access to this information, the polis is making decisions blindly. Thus, said society would only be a democracy in name and not in function.

As the information distribution context, in either case, has to be taken into effect -- I think that once this is done, you'll see that there aren't that many real-world differences between the military paradigm and the Open Source paradigm regarding secrecy of proprietary information. The difference is the belief in whether or not disclosure of infrastructure can create an economic benefit. Note that I'm referring to specialized infrastructure (like, say, a corporate network) and not a generalized infrastructure. The reason for keeping trident missile design specs secret, for example, is to keep "enemies" from reproducing them. This is a very specialized motivation and has to be taken into account when analyzing the issue. To understand the comparrison, consider how many public projects the military runs and how much public infrastructure they use. The military does actively benefit on a regular basis from technical disclosure. I think you'll find that they military is much more open than it advertises itself as.

A flaw in the basis of the analysis can bring into question the entire method of analysis.

-Barry

p.s. It's good that someone is trying to tackle this issue. I do have to agree with Dave Aitel, though, and say that you should not publish this until you are 100% certain that it is accurate, which is may never be. This kind of paper can be very influential and should be done with great care. If incorrect conclusions are gleened from the data, it could be catastrophic.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html