Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Bulk] RE: House approves spyware legislation

From: "Byron L. Sonne" <blsonne () rogers com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:02:11 -0400

It would give the US Justice Department $US10 million

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and make the assumption that the American gov't is about as useless and irresponsible at managing money as our Canadian government is.

In which case, USD $10M/CDN $12.6M/EUR 8M doesn't sound impressive; it sounds to me like it is likely one of two cases going on namely (a) this is a small pilot effort to see how things go and will not likely get alot done and (b) the triumph of "Image over Substance" ie. we have to *look* like we're doing something so here's enough money to get something going but not enough to have effective follow-through.

If it isn't a half-assed political/industry (what's the difference, eh?) slush fund to begin with, or turn into one in short order.

Although with the erosion of civil rights and the invasive big-brother goverment growth going on south of the border (and sadly all over the world too, hello Britain and Australia), I'd be worried that it is a channel to help funnel money to initiatives that are either directly or covertly advancing idiocies like the Patriot Act and the other sociopolitical legal abortions that are emanating in ever increasing frequency from the 'land of the free', and get exported by treaty to the rest of us.

Oh yeah, unix this, windows that, security, networks, etc... now I'm back on topic ;)

Regards,
Byron

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html