Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Q: Linux Command Line Encryption

From: Aaron Horst <anthrax101 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:43:52 -0400

Decoding a file with repetitive XOR encryption is pretty easy. The
only way that this will be even remotely secure is if the encrypted
file is the same length or less then the length of the key file. The
danger then becomes transmitting the key file securely. This is called
a one-time pad. It is important that this key never be used again, or
it can be cracked.

Obviously, this is NOT a good idea for anything other then research
purposes, but it is a good way to learn about the dangers of improper
encryption.

AnthraX101