Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Determinig VMWare environment (was: Unpacking Sasser)

From: Spiro Trikaliotis <trik-news () gmx de>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 10:52:31 +0200

Hello,

* On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 08:56:51AM +0100 Lee wrote:

I am intrigued by your points of malware understanding the environment

"VM environment can be sensed by the code being tested and choose to
act entirely differently from how it would otherwise."

I have never seen this before, have you any pointers for me?  I use
ESX server alot and malware been able to detect my environment is
something I havent seen before. Would kind of go against the very
nature of ESX server, like said, very interested on this as it would
help to safe guard our testing environments.

there should be some ways to accomplish that. The VMWare "backdoor" port
might be one (!) good starting point:

http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/backdoor.html#top

Best regards,
   Spiro.