Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: (AUSCERT AA-2004.02) AUSCERT Advisory - Den ial of Service Vulnerability in IEEE 802.11 Wireless Devices (fwd)

From: Phil Brutsche <phil () tux obix com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 17:18:12 -0500

Seth Alan Woolley wrote:

This is annoying.  I once did a similar thing to a netgear "managed"
switch setup in two VLANs.  Experimenting, I setup a crossover cable
between the two VLANs to see how real the separation was.  My theory was
that it would work like having two separate switches.  I was wrong.  It
took down the whole network as if I had run a crossover back into a
switch that wasn't partitioned.  I don't know whether or not this is a
bug or not, but it makes me wonder just how good this netgear managed
switch is and if I should replace it with something better for my
internal DMZ purposes.

Netgear is hardly unique.

I've seen Extreme Networks (Summit 48) and Cisco (Catalyst 2924XL-EN - an IOS-based switch if you must know) suffer from the same malady.

It's quite common when you have teenagers who don't know any better trying to test switchports faster...

--

Phil Brutsche
phil () tux obix com

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.