Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: (AUSCERT AA-2004.02) AUSCERT Advisory - Den ial of Service Vulnerability in IEEE 802.11 Wireless Devices (fwd)

From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth () tautology org>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:14:42 -0700

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 12:36:18PM -0400, Ng, Kenneth (US) wrote:
I've been around long enough to remember having an AUI NIC that would take
down a segment even when the NIC WAS NOT PLUGGED INTO THE PC.  Suspicion was
that there was a short in the transceiver that was causing massive
reflections back into the segment.

This is annoying.  I once did a similar thing to a netgear "managed"
switch setup in two VLANs.  Experimenting, I setup a crossover cable
between the two VLANs to see how real the separation was.  My theory was
that it would work like having two separate switches.  I was wrong.  It
took down the whole network as if I had run a crossover back into a
switch that wasn't partitioned.  I don't know whether or not this is a
bug or not, but it makes me wonder just how good this netgear managed
switch is and if I should replace it with something better for my
internal DMZ purposes.

Seth

--
Key id EF10E21A = 36AD 8A92 8499 8439 E6A8  3724 D437 AF5D EF10 E21A
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEF10E21A