Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Support the Sasser-author fund started

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 09:12:12 +1200

merlyn () stonehenge com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

So why is it, with Microsoft and all of their billeeeunnss of dollars,
that they wouldn't spend at least SOME MORE of that BEFORE they
release their code?  OpenBSD manages a decent security review and a
right mindset towards security on the annual amount of money that Bill
Gates makes every time he takes a dump.

I haven't seen the Win32 source code, but I'd bet that OpenBSD is
considerably easier to audit - I have a growing suspicion that Win32
is just too complex to be properly secured. A lot of recent patches
have had unintended consequences or have been marked as having new
functionality.

--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html