Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Support the Sasser-author fund started

From: Ron Jackson <ISSecurity () lifenet org>
Date: 13 May 2004 10:25:20 -0400

On Thursday, May 13, 2004 8:33 AM, harry <Rik.Bobbaers () cc kuleuven ac be> wrote:
Tobias Weisserth wrote:
<snip>
I find your "explanation" why this author of a virus should be treated
any different than other authors somehow illogical. The Sasser author
has done nothing to foster security. So there is really no need for the
security scene to support him.

there is one other thing...

he is correct when he says that Microsoft will say it's completely the
worm writer's fault. BUT i think Microsoft should be punished too for
having so many security holes. they had to patch it faster.

Umm,
   I'm confused.  Fairly new to the security scene, but, didn't the worm come out AFTER the patch?  I guess Microsoft
could have patched it sooner so that the worm could have come out sooner.  The biggest question I have is why all the
hostility at Microsoft for patching their system?  There are plenty of holes still in the system that warrant your
wrath.  When I see a worm that comes out before Microsoft patches, I'll be all over Microsoft just as the rest of you
"Microsoft can do no right" doomsayers.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html