Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: New LSASS-based worm finally here (Sasser)

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 22:09:41 +0200

Marc Maiffret wrote:

One thing most people fail to note when speaking of
vulnerability-to-worm timelines shrinking is that your basing your
timeline off of when a vulnerability is disclosed, to when a worm is
discovered, NOT when a worm is released. The importance of this is that
your timeline is not specifically based off of when the "bad guy"
decides to do a bad thing and more so when the "good guys" discover a
"bad guy" has done something bad.

Usually I would agree, but as you mention below in your post security and AV companies have come a long way in detecting worms faster since the days of code red. The time between when a worm is released and when it goes "in the wild" is called seeding time. In many occasions a worm's success is pre-determined by how well (or not so well) the VX-er seeded the worm in the first few hours to days.

With all of these security companies scrambling to be first (even if
they have nothing intelligent to say, other than some nifty name for the
worm) it means they are investing a lot of resources into being the
first to detect these worms. Which means that as their detection
capabilities grow, the timeline of how quickly they are able to detect a
worm is going to shrink. Which therefore can help lead to the appearance
(right or wrong) that worms are being released faster, when in reality
it is that they are now being detected faster.

I agree, we do not have enough data to determine if worms are being released faster as a trend, but it sure appears that they do. We do get a lot more worms nowadays though, so things even out. I think things are going faster now but I don't believe a full research was done on this particular issue before (I am probably wrong).

Take CodeRed for example... There was about a weeks time where many
Microsoft IIS web servers were being crashed and "no one" understood
what was happening. There is much evidence of this if you look at any
Microsoft newsgroups around the time of CodeRed. So there is a week, or
maybe even more, that the worm had been released (which changes the
timeline) but no one knew about it. Now today, in some ways due to the
fame of CodeRed, worms are sexy and appealing to companies and media
alike... And therefore they get a lot more attention. We would never
have the case today where there would be public discussion of web
servers randomly crashing for a week without people figuring out there
was a worm on the loose (Well I shouldn't bet on other peoples
intelligence, but... ;-).

I agree 100%, but that is not a good enough reason to reply, so -
This started from the issue of the usefulness of an historical perspective.. so.. let us get factual.

Network worms are nothing new and in fact "original-named" worms were network worms (rather than email). However, although honey pots and honey nets were always in use, until around the time of code red they weren't the main tool the AV industry used for finding new threats. The threats invented the means, and in this case it was just re-enforcing the use of honey pots.

I believe there are a couple of articles about this by Costin Raiu on the web which may be interesting to demonstrate AV-used honey pots.

In the real world most of these discussions about timelines of
vulnerability-to-worm do not matter, depending on your goal. For me
personally I think the goal is trying to create as much accurate threat
awareness as possible. We do not need to get down to the number of
specific days of this worm vs that worm to know that for a fact there
have been a few worms lately that have been released/discovered within a
timeline that is shorter than a month or two. For any company that is a
data point to think hard about, and how your company handles security.
Are you running around putting out fires every time some kid has a bad
day and writes a worm, or are you being proactive and pitying your
peers?

Well, I agree that in the end it doesn't matter much exactly how long it takes for the worm to show up. But let us get back to the fact that a worm nearly always does - knowing that and being prepared is what matters and I do believe that is the point you were trying to make, so although I agree exact timing is not that important, I don't really see why the timelines do not matter?

        Gadi Evron.

--
Email: ge () linuxbox org. Backup: ge () warp mx dk.
Phone: +972-50-428610 (Cell).

PGP key for attachments: http://vapid.reprehensible.net/~ge/Gadi_Evron.asc
ID: 0xD9216A06 FP: 5BB0 D3E2 D3C1 19B7 2104  C0D0 A7B3 1CF7 D921 6A06
GPG key for encrypted email: http://vapid.reprehensible.net/~ge/Gadi_Evron_Emails.asc
ID: 0x06C7D450 FP: 3B88 845A DF1F 4062 E5BA  569A A87E 8DB7 06C7 D450

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html