Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Ancient Trivia: +++ath0

From: Radule Soskic <rms () telekom yu>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:35:57 +0100

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 11:23, Dave Horsfall wrote:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Cowles, Robert D. wrote:

Hayes implemented a "guard" ... they required a pause between the "+++"
and the following command. When other manufacturers implemented the
command set, they had to make some small changes so they could claim
they hadn't *completely* ripped off the Hayes command set ... they left
out the requirement for the pause.  So, on lots of non-Hayes modems, you
could get them to hang up by just sending that string as data (or
including it as data in a ping packet).

And another cool trick (implemented by the software, not the modem), was

NO CARRIER

at the start of a line.  <click> :-)

(Yes, I used to enjoy picking on DOS users, and still do.)

Yet another (and very old) one:

During IRC chat session, change your nick to COM1 (or COM2,3,4,
depending on which port the victim has the modem installed).

Then, ask him/her to send you a private message...

Used to work in mirc+Win95/98, if I remember well...

cikasole

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html