Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: USB Auto run function

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 06:35:28 -0700 (PDT)

I have been interested in a potential exploit that
may or may not be an
issue, I read lately that a potential malicious file
could enter a system
via a USB Memory stick with a structured autorun.pif
, and this file would
operate even if the screen lock is activated .

This is an interesting topic of discussion.  Like one
poster, I first saw this in the most recent issue of
2600.  I began looking into it, and almost immediately
came up with this particular MS KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;136214

As you can see, KB136214 states pretty clearly that
*be default*, autorun.inf file processing is NOT
enabled for USB-connected thumb drives.  I haven't
tested it myself, but another poster has stated that
while items in the "open=" line may not be launched,
the "icon=" line seems to be processed.

I read Gadi's comments:
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/go/risks/23/41/4

I had some questions for Gadi, and fired off an email
but have yet to hear back.

While I do agree wholeheartedly that USB-connected
devices are definitely an issue within a network
infrastructure, it's not yet clear to me that the pose
the threats that have been presented.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html