Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Web sites compromised by IIS attack

From: "Akos Szalkai" <szalkai () 2fkft com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 16:43:31 +0200

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 06:09:05AM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu created magic using only numbers:
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:08:27 CDT, Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>  said:

I attended a presentation yesterday for a security product in the
application firewall field.  During the presentation, the CISSP stated that
"in every 1000 lines of code there will be 15 errors".

Actually, I suspect most coders are *worse* than that.

You may be right, but your calculations are an order of magnitude off. :)

Sendmail 8.13.0 weighs in at just about 90K lines of C code for
the main program.  By that metric, there should only have been 135
bugs in it. In fact, there are 441 occurrences of 'Problem noted by'
in the release notes.

Maybe you were not really awake yet (look at the Date header!), but if
its 15 errors/KLOC, then 90K lines of code should have 90*15=1350 bugs,
not 9*15=135.

You made the same mistake with BIND.  I do not like those two pieces of
software, but this time you showed that the Sendmail/BIND people are
better than the average programmer.

Akos

--
Akos Szalkai <szalkai () 2f hu>